Friday, August 29, 2008

Beautiful Girl

Dear readers,

As my previous posting, I have been sharing about my new timetable. As a floating teacher (that is what my PK 1 referred me as) my class started at 6.50 am. Luckily, the Form Five students are in their SPM Trial Examination. Thus, no preparation is needed where I only come to class to invigilate. My class ended at 8.10 am. My next destination was the school canteen. Lapaq siot!!

After a modest breakfast, I went back to my flat for resting. While resting, I remembered a movie that I watched last night. The title is “Beautiful Girl” and it was being aired by Hallmark. I love to watch this channel because most of the movies being aired are about families. Maybe I am a kind of a family type of a person.

In this movie too, I was surprised when I saw my one of the favourite actresses, Fran Dresher (forgive me for the wrong spelling) played a role of a mother to two young ladies. Her first daughter was named Becky or Becca (not sure) and the other one was named Rachel. Becca is a teacher in primary school teaching music while Rachel is unemployed. I did not remember the name of Fran’s character but let me called her here as ‘mother’. Becca is a short and chubby. She is bubbly and friendly. She is also very confident in herself and she has a handsome boyfriend. In the early scene, Becca is being proposed by her Bf in a bar (the bar is belonged to the Bf). So, she is practically engaged and Becca’s family is happy to hear the news.

In their wedding planning, the mother, Becca and Rachel bump into another mother and her daughter in a boutique. They are there for buying an evening gown for a beauty pageant. Becca’s mother (Fran) starts to lecture her second daughter, Rachel (who is slim and beautiful, totally different from Becca). She wants Rachel to join a beauty pageant because Rachel is not involved in any activity. Rachel disagrees with her mother.

In the next few scenes, we can see that Becca registers herself to enter a beauty pageant in her place, ‘Squirrel Hills”. Her colleague is happy to hear Becca’s participation and offers herself to become Becca’s Beauty Pageant Coach. Everyone who is closest to Becca is happy for Becca except her mother. She against the idea because she is afraid that her Becca will be hurt by other people comments.

She does very well and she ends up as the First Runner Up. Hence, in a swimsuit, she wore a not so sexy swimsuit with a squirrel tail. Cute...

The confrontation between Becca and her mother continues. It becomes very bad when Becca was chosen to represent her district to another level pageant. She only tells her fiancée. He agrees and supports Becca’s decision.

At this level, Becca learns a lot of things from her new friends. She transforms herself from an ordinary educator to a new Becca. Her fiancée and her families do not like the new Becca. They expect Becca has beauty addiction. In return, Becca does not agree with them and proceeds with the pageant. In this part, she makes friend with an Amish born contestant who joined the pageant for the sake of scholarship.

During the pageant day, Becca’s mother turns up (after a long lecture from Becca’s nana) and she meets with Becca in the Make-up room. Becca forgives her and the mother starts to share her view on fashion (reminds me with her character in The Nanny). What happen next? Try to catch the movie in the Hallmark channel as I believe, it will be repeated.

This story is very inspiring.

It teaches us that we cannot look down on other people potential. It is because some of the people are born with confidence which makes them able to show their uniqueness. Remember.....always think that what you do not have, he or she might have or even better than you.

No comments: